Jan 5, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday #2

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Head on to the said blog to participate. =)

My this week's selection is Sarah Blake's 'The Postmistress' which will be available from February 01, 2011 onwards.

Description: It is 1940. Iris James is the postmistress of Franklin, Massachusetts a small town at the end of Cape Cod. She firmly believes her job is to deliver and keep people's secrets, to pass along the news of love and sorrow that letters carry. Faithfully she stamps and sends the letters between people such as the newlyweds Emma and Will Fitch, who has gone to London to help out during the Blitz. But one day she slips a letter into her pocket, and leaves it there.

Meanwhile, seemingly fearless radio gal, Frankie Bard is reporting the Blitz from London, her dispatches crinkling across the Atlantic, imploring listeners to pay attention. Then in the last desperate days of the summer of 1941, she rides the trains out of Germany, reporting on what is happening to the refugees there.

Alternating between an America on the eve of entering into World War II, still safe and snug in its inability to grasp the danger at hand, an a Europe being torn apart by war, the two stories collide in a letter, bringing the war finally home to Franklin.

My notes: To be honest, I've never read anything from Sarah Blake. But this one sounds promising. I've always liked stories set during the WW2 and the premise of this story sounds rather interesting. There are a few reviews which said that it doesn't live up to the expectations, but I'm still going to give it a try. So, I'll just get into it without any expectation. I still hope it turns out to be good though.

4 comments:

  1. Hii Nadea! I'm new to your blog and I have to say that the layout and blog name are so very cool! Candy Chapstick!! Haha. This does sound like an interesting read! I'm your newest follower :)

    xo,
    Lah @ Lazy Girl Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this book does indeed sound promising. I will add it to my TBR list.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lah: Haha thank you so much! Honestly, I don't even know why I picked the name for this blog. And thanks for following this blog. It's relatively new.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...