Jan 9, 2011

Review: My Love Lies Bleeding by Alyxandra Harvey

Title: My Love Lies Bleeding (Drake Chronicles #1)
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publication Year: 2010
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal

Solange has always known she is a vampire. And as the only female vampire ever born, not initiated, she is surrounded by danger on all sides – from other vampire tribes who want to take her blood into their lineage, and from the bounty hunter who are set on destroying her and her family. When she is kidnapped, it’s up to her elder brother, Nicholas, and her best friend, Lucy, save her. But can Lucy save herself from Nicholas, who tempts her with every look – what will be her own fate if she surrenders her heart to a vampire?

My two cents: In all honesty, I had no intention to read this series. But as I was browsing through the bookstore, I came across this first book and it was on such a good bargain. And I thought I should give it a try.

The story is nothing new. In a way, it reminds me of Vampire Academy. The Drakes are one of the royal families though have since been exiled from the Royal Court. And I can’t help but see Lucy as Rose and Solange as Lissa…except that Lucy is really human and Solange can really kick some asses. But the way the story was written kept me interested. It has humors as well as action and romance. I really liked the way the tension between Nicholas and Lucy was presented. And I could straightaway guess that Solange and Kieran would be something something by the end of this book from the moment Kieran was introduced. Then, there is the whole drama involving the vampires’ Royal Court and Queen. I have to say that Solange’s seven brothers really help to keep the mood light…especially Nicholas and Logan.

I’m glad that it was told from the perspective of two people instead of one. This way, it prevented the book from becoming one dimensional and offered more insides of what the characters felt and saw. I would have liked it more if it was longer. But in a way, the author managed to not waste time going round background stories which might be or might not be boring. The author jumped straight into the issues at heart and it helped me not to lose focus. I think it’s because of this that I managed to finish this book in less than two days (I’m usually a slow reader…a very slow one). All in all, a good read if you’re looking for something to help you laugh and at the same time keep your heart beating fast.

My verdict: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...